Re: Status report on python2 transition

On Thu, Jul 05, 2001 at 05:33:37PM +0200, Gregor Hoffleit wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 05, 2001 at 07:56:57AM -0700, Neil Schemenauer wrote:
> > > That's our current setup (well-behaved packages should have a dependency
> > > on "python-base >= 1.5, python-base << 1.6"). Look at the mess we're now
> > > running into, now that we want to upgrade this to Python 2.1.1. All
> > > packages have to be recompiled at once.
> >
> > What's a "well-behaved package"?  Extension modules depend on the
> > version of Python that they were compiled against.  If you upgrade the
> > interpreter you must upgrade the extensions.  How are you planning on
> > avoiding this?

I guess I missed your point here.

Binary extensions certainly need to be rebuilt once for every Python
feature version.

Pure Python packages not necessarily would need to be rebuilt (if the
code was cross-version compatible). That was the point of my original
inquiry on python-dev. Possible solutions for cross-version compatible
code would be installation in a version-neutral directory (e.g.
/usr/lib/python/site-packages) and either adding this to sys.path (has
been depreciated in python-dev) or somehow arranging symlinks into the
actual versioned site-package directories. In this case, we would have
to setup something comparable to the Debian emacsen's registration
system.

    Gregor