Re: Policy for naming python packages

On Jun 09, Michael Sobolev wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 09, 2000 at 11:16:13AM +0200, Jérôme Marant wrote:
> > Do all Debian python packages have to be prefixed by 'python-' ?
> > I recently packaged the "pyunit" software and I still don't
> > know if I have to rename it python-unit or if I can keep its
> > name as is.
>
> Looks like there is at least one package that does not follow this "policy":
> reportbug.  Hmm, zope also uses its own naming scheme... :)

reportbug and zope can be used without doing any programming in
Python; hence, I don't think naming them "python-X" makes any sense.
It would be like calling the bug "sh-bug".

The python-* nomenclature is intended for modules, not end-user
applications.  (For example, python-newt is a module because it
doesn't do anything user-visible.  reportbug is an end-user
application because it provides binaries.  reportbug does provide
modules as well, but that's not the point of the package... the point
is to produce a bug reporting tool, the modules are just there for
reusability in case someone gets around to writing a GUI tool or
people want to use the BTS interface code.  Theoretically, those
modules could be in a "python-debbugs" package, but IMHO that'd be a
waste of resources.)

Other python-using applications:
  - ppmtofb (has "fbview" script)
  - fetchmailconf
  - idle
  - vim-python
  - pydf

Hopefully this clears that up.

Chris (reportbug maintainer)
|         Chris Lawrence        |          It's 2/3 of a beltway...         |
|    <quango@watervalley.net>   |      http://www.lordsutch.com/tn385/      |
|    Grad Student, Pol. Sci.    |    Are you tired of politics as usual?    |
|   University of Mississippi   |             http://www.lp.org/            |