Re: Policy for naming python packages

On 9 Jun 2000, Andreas Voegele wrote:
>  someone wrote:
>     > I would rather not go for renaming upstream packages, to avoid
>     > confusion.
>
> In my opinion, packages like "pygtk" and "pyqt" that add new modules
> to Python should always be renamed to "python-*" since it is much
> easier to find these packages with dselect if a consistent naming
> scheme is used.

Why not reserve python-* names for stuff that is included in the python
distribution and keep the upstream name for other stuff, unless it
conflicts with an existing package's name, of course.

As far as finding stuff in dselect goes... try "/".
I think it would be much more difficult to find Debianized packages if
they had a different name than what the author originally gave them, and
could make communication with other, not Debian, Python users more error
prone.

later,

	Bruce