Re: Policy for naming python packages

On Fri, Jun 09, 2000 at 06:04:57PM +0200, Jérôme Marant wrote:
> Radovan Garabik <garabik@melkor.dnp.fmph.uniba.sk> writes:
>
> > there are however some issues...
> > I have packaged pyncurses (http://pyncurses.sourceforge.net), which is
> > a new, object oriented interface for ncurses.
> > I cannot rename it to python-ncurses, since that is an upstream
> > name of another program (and python-curses is yet another).
> I'm sorry, I didn't find python-ncurses anywhere (neither with Freshmeat
> nor Google). But I found pyncurses.

Sorry, my mistake... it is called "new cursesmodule"
(http://andrich.net/python/selfmade.html)
Forget I wrote anything about it :-)

> Anyway, naming conflicts is a problem. So when a conflict, keeping the
> original name (this should be discussed) is a good solution, at the moment.
>
> > python-pyncurses is a pleonasm, and looks like python interface for
> > pyncurses.
> You're right, this is nonsense.
>
> > So far I have settled on plain pyncurses, moreover if all the libraries for
> > python have to begin with python- (and similarily for perl etc.), it looks
> > like hungarian notation, which few people like.
> It is only a way of naming packages, not libraries themselves of course.
> All binary libraries packages begin with lib (and in Debian, more than in other
> distribution) and it is more practical for many reasons (mainly searching)
> Why not doing the same with python libs?

I am not a priori against, but there has to be a limit somewhere, and I guess
this is a borderline case.
(why not name all the binary files with bin- prefix, all packages dealing with
sound with sound- prefix etc...)