Re: Policy for naming python packages

On Fri, Jun 09, 2000 at 04:50:53PM +0200, Jérôme Marant wrote:
> Andreas Voegele <andreas.voegele@gmx.de> writes:
>
> > In my opinion, packages like "pygtk" and "pyqt" that add new modules
> > to Python should always be renamed to "python-*" since it is much
> > easier to find these packages with dselect if a consistent naming
> > scheme is used.
>
> I would say "all python library packages should be renamed to 'python-*'".

there are however some issues...
I have packaged pyncurses (http://pyncurses.sourceforge.net), which is
a new, object oriented interface for ncurses.
I cannot rename it to python-ncurses, since that is an upstream
name of another program (and python-curses is yet another).
python-pyncurses is a pleonasm, and looks like python interface for
pyncurses.
So far I have settled on plain pyncurses, moreover if all the libraries for
python have to begin with python- (and similarily for perl etc.), it looks
like hungarian notation, which few people like.