Re: Request: Debian on Instagram

On 14/06/2019 05:37, Paul Wise wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 14, 2019 at 6:54 AM anon notmyfault64 wrote:
>
>> Here are technical suggestions about Debian on Instagram:
>> - Create a subdivision of Debian Publicity which maintains Debian on Instagram account.
>> - Request "blue tick" verification to Instagram so that users can know that this is official Debian on Instagram account.
> Debian does not have any official presence on any social media and
> does not endorse any social network, especially proprietary ones like
> Instagram.
>
> All the existing Debian presence on both libre and proprietary social
> media is registered and maintained by individual or groups of Debian
> enthusiasts. Most of them are fed from Debian's official publicity
> services (micronews, bits and DPN), mostly automatically via micronews
> or bits.
>
> https://micronews.debian.org/
> https://bits.debian.org/
> https://www.debian.org/News/weekly/
> https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/Publicity/micronews
> https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/Publicity/bits.debian.org
> https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/Publicity/otherSN
> https://wiki.debian.org/ProjectNews
>
> So, anyone who has an Instagram account can create a Debian presence
> on Instagram and feed it with official Debian content.
>
> Looking at the Instagram developer instructions, it sounds like you
> aren't allowed to do automated posting, so probably the maintainer of
> a Debian Instagram account would have to manually repost official
> Debian content. OTOH I might be mis-interpreting their guidelines so
> it might be feasible to feed automatically.
>
> https://www.instagram.com/developer/
>
> I don't know if there are any policies about Debian related social
> media accounts but I would assume these:
>
> * Make it clear that the page/account is unofficial.
> * Respect Debian's trademark policy.
> * Feed in official Debian publicity content.
> * Add a link to it from the otherSN wiki page.
> * Hand it off to someone else if you stop maintaining it.
>
> https://www.debian.org/trademark#trademarks

Surely we would be better off posting content to the fediverse though.
It adds more legitimacy to those networks and hopefully encourages
people to switch to networks.  All it really takes is for us to
co-ordinate efforts in that if we follow each other and one of us posts
something the other person shares it and hopefully everyone else does
the same.

Mediagoblin allows posting of video / pictures

peertube videos

General content / discussions can be posted to say friendica. mastodon
or diaspora.

https://fediverse.party/ is a good portal to this.

In some ways people stay on proprietary networks due to content, if we
can create content on the free decentralised networks people may
switch,  and even more likely if we can engage there too.

However all of this takes time.

Paul S

--
Paul Sutton