Re: Coverage for the machine-readable Debian copyright format 1.0 (DEP 5).

On Sun, Feb 12, 2012 at 11:41:03AM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
> As discussed recently on debian-project, DEP 5 will be marked accepted next
> week unless there is objection.
>
>   http://lists.debian.org/87r4ycq14b.fsf@windlord.stanford.edu
<snip>
> My question is then: what so you think would be the appropriate coverage
> for this release.  Is an email to debian-devel-announce enough, or shall I
> draft a press release ?

Before discussing this, we need to be sure we're not going to embarrass
ourselves with an announcement that will then need to be retracted. In
that respect, I'm a bit worried by the above "unless", given that
objections have been raised. Just to name one, has the concerns
mentioned in:

  http://lists.debian.org/debian-project/2012/02/msg00006.html

being addressed? I'm aware Russ said 2 weeks would have been enough, but
before embarking in an announcement it'd be wise to ensure that's
actually the case.

If the above is all fine and well, I then suggest that d-d-a would be
the right media for this announcement. DEP-5 is mostly of interest for
the developers, ATM. It will have a long term benefit for the users, but
I don't think it warrants a press release yet.  Besides, journalists are
known to follow d-d-a, so they might pick up the news from there anyhow.

Thanks for caring about the communication side around DEP-5,
Cheers.