Re: New policy is not consensual

Hi Raphaël,

On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 02:25:13PM +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> BTW you have not expressed any opinion on the more neutral entry that
> I suggested in
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-publicity/2011/10/msg00036.html
>
> Would it be more acceptable than the initial proposal or does that
> make no difference to you?

I understand your position and the new rewording is more informative, if
you were a stranger in Debian my refusal would be outright, but in your
case in a personal way I support your (Rolando included) initiative
mainly because I deeply admire all the great work you have done, and as
you know I want to help in the Spanish L10N of the book.

The problem for me is that DPN is not about personal point of view, is
a responsability to inform about the Debian Project and on behalf of it,
so the reason of my decision is based on avoid exceptions that serve to
set a precedent about the Debian Project encouraging and promoting
monetary support (via advertising, fundraising campagins, etc.) to some
of its members. As an example of the problem for me, if the mention
about the campaign to raise funds to allow the English L10N and the
"liberation" of your book appears in the DPN, what prevents that other
mentions like this one [1] does not appear?

I found very difficult to take a position on this subject but I try to
be objective and of course I'm fully open to discussion, but as I said
before, I agree to respect the decision reached as a team (and if this
is not achieved, the decision taken by Alexander Reichle-Schmehl as main
editor), so I suggest we wait for the views of team members who have not
been expressed yet.

Regards,

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-publicity/2011/09/msg00000.html
--
Fernando C. Estrada

It's certainly easy to calculate the average attendance for Perl
conferences.
		-- Larry Wall in <199710071721.KAA19014@wall.org>