Re: Hardware ideas for the Debian Events Box

On 08/09/2011 05:16 PM, Alexander Reichle-Schmehl wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Am 09.08.2011 13:44, schrieb Axel Beckert:
>
>> So we need a slim PC with 64-bit and virtualization?
>
> Well... We surely want virtualisation support... I don't think we _need_
> 64-Bit support, but we don't mind it either.  But does it make a
> practical difference?  Are there 32-Bit processors with virtualisation
> support?

I'd suggest to take a box with 64bit support and >= 4GB of ram so its
possible to run several systems in virtual machines at the same time.
For example it is sometimes nice to be able to show and explain things
on a running system to visitors, including full installations - and
doing so is easier in KVM/virtualbox, especially when the output will be
shown on the booth's screen.

I'd suggest to have at least the following virtual machines available on
such a box:

- stable
- kfreebsd
- babelbox
- FAI demo

All should be using snapshots to clean up after demonstrations.

 GPG Fingerprints: ECA1 E3F2 8E11 2432 D485 DD95 EB36 171A 6FF9 435F