Re: debian event box

Hi there!

Cc:ing Annette, who kindly provided the GNOME Events Boxes links.

Annette, I am sorry if I forgot to credit you since the beginning and
also for not having included you in the loop before.  The discussion
started at:

  <http://lists.debian.org/msgid-search/%3c20110719221047.GA9655%40upsilon.cc%3e>

On Wed, 20 Jul 2011 01:38:45 +0200, Luca Capello wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Jul 2011 00:10:47 +0200, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
>> We probably have already available 2 spare Pelicase PL-1500
>> 432*290*155mm [1] from the video team. But we should check they are big
>> enough (which somehow I doubt..., it would be great if someone could
>> check that).
>
> Thank you for the information, I updated the wiki page and I will
> coordinate with the video team to at least see them.

FWIW, the PL-1500 are too small, we need at least the PL-1650.

>> As the next step --- with my DPL hat --- I'd need a quote of how much
>> it'll cost to buy the missing material, i.e. a summary of what we
>> already have, what we miss, and a quote for buying what we miss.
>
> This actually depends on what we want in the box, I replaced the GNOME
> Events Box listing with what IMHO is absolutely needed.

Given the "ridiculous" [1] price (see below), I would go for shiny new
hardware.

[1] I know that in a volunteer project like Debian any price is not
    ridiculous at all: what I wanted to stress is that these boxes are
    really needed, as anyone actually organizing a booth could testify.

>> if someone could give me that, we can decide to go ahead and buy the
>> needed hardware pretty quickly, so that we can have it ready for
>> events starting from September on.
>
> Tomorrow I will check the prices after having talked with different
> people to gather advices ;-)

If my estimations are correct, one *single* box should costs around 770
USD, Pelicase *included*:

  <http://wiki.debian.org/Teams/Events/DebianEventsBox?action=diff&rev1=18&rev2=19>

  [300 USD] 1x case
  [200 USD] 1x demo PC
  [080 USD] 1x 17" LCD
  [070 USD] 1x keyboard/mouse
  [070 USD] 1x Wi-Fi AP with a 4-port hub
  [020 USD] 2+ power strips with worldwide adapter
  [020 USD] various network/VGA/USB cables
  [000 USD] lockable cash box
  [010 USD] debian-flyers - Print Advertising
  [000 USD] merchandise

Thx, bye,
Gismo / Luca