Re: Debian Project News 2011/06 frozen. Please review and translate

Hi Jeremiah,

On 2011-04-18 08:58, Jeremiah Foster wrote:

On 2011-04-16 12:21, David Prévot wrote:

Hi!

We just finished the last bits for the latest issue of the Debian
Project News to be released on Monday. We would appreciate reviews and
translations.
[...]
Cheers,

David

Thank you David and thanks to all other contributors. Here are my remarks:

Even though there has been some work in progress towards getting rid
of HAL (still used by
on kFreeBSD), Cyril Brulebois mentioned that<a
href="http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2011/03/msg01194.html";>\
it is stalled for now</a>.
"there has been some work in progress" does not sound right to me. "there is some work in progress", maybe?
Yeah, that is not really correct English. I'll change.
Thanks
<code><a
href="http://packages.debian.org/network-manager";>network-manager</a></code>
be adopted</a>  to this end, though this proposal has provoked a great many
objections, whether
rational</a>  or<a href="http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2011/04/msg00120.html";>\
less so</a>.
I don't understand the link on "less so".
I think it is trying to highlight a "rational" argument (the first link) and a "less than rational" argument, the second link.
Hum...yeah, but the second link is actually a post from Lars which is a "meta" sub-thread on how argumentation should be made. Lars writes explicitly that "I am not taking any stance for or against ifupdown, or even Network Manager." Putting a link on "less so" is already unclear, but one that points to that post doesn't make much sense to me.
As a side note, J&ouml;rg added that during the meeting Ansgar Burchardt was
promoted to FTP Assistant: congratulations, Ansgar!
"promote" is strange here. I suggest:
eh? It is a promotion.
I don't know. Here is the definition of promote that I guess is being used:
(transitive) To raise (someone) to a more important, responsible, or remunerative job or rank.
FTP assistant is not a job, so that leaves the more important or responsible rank. The sentence seems to imply that FTP assistant is a more important rank than whatever Ansgar was, probably a developer, but that is misleading, because Debian has no hierarchy tree. I would understand that DPL is considered more important than developer, but FTP assistant? This is a judgment from whoever wrote that paragraph.

In any case, whether a developer becoming FTP assistant should be considered a promotion or not, the promotion itself is irrelevant, it's the assistant's willingness to do a new task that is newsworthy.

The sentence was since changed to
As a side note, J&ouml;rg added that during the meeting Ansgar Burchardt was
appointed to the post of FTP Assistant; congratulations, Ansgar!
but I never heard the word "post" that way in English. It seems to be used in the sense of "position". "poste" means that in French, but could a native English speaker confirm this is not a faux ami?

As a side note, Ansgar Burchardt started to serve as an FTP Assistant during the meeting; thank you, Ansgar!
Cyril Brulebois published the<a
href="http://blog.ikibiki.org/2011/04/03/DXN-8/";>eighth</a>,<a
href="http://blog.ikibiki.org/2011/04/10/DXN-9/";>ninth</a>  and<a
href="http://blog.ikibiki.org/2011/04/11/DXN-10/";>tenth</a>  issues of his
Debian XFS News.
X11 is no FileSystem!
I have no idea what you're talking about here.
Sorry, "XFS" needed changing to "XSF". It's already done.
Jeremiah