Re: State of Debian Project News

On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 3:33 AM, Graham Cobb <g+debian@cobb.uk.net> wrote:
> On Friday 24 April 2009 02:41:35 Andrew Donnellan wrote:
>> On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 8:12 AM, Graham Cobb <g+debian@cobb.uk.net> wrote:
>> > Either combined with Ana's proposal, or separate, could we replace the
>> > project news with a blog? This would have an RSS feed, of course, and
>> > could also be automatically mailed to a mailing list if we needed to keep
>> > that distribution mechanism.  It would be an "official" Debian project
>> > news blog, with a small team of people having access to write blog
>> > entries.  The goal would be one or two blog entries a week, spread across
>> > the team of contributors.
>>
>> Do you mean something like http://times.debian.net?
>
> No.  It would probably be a source which was aggregated into DebianTimes but I
> see it as having a different focus.  To me, Debian Times is for the active
> Debian community, Debian Project News is for people on the edge of or outside
> the community.  Different audiences and different (but overlapping) content.

Would the focus of the news be strictly Debian-related or could
stories related to Debian-based distros
(http://www.debian.org/misc/children-distros) and general Linux news
be included?  I'm interested in writing articles for this effort and
would need to know which topics are acceptable.

> For content I meant very much the same content as DPN today -- just using a
> blog to make contribution and publication easier and more lightweight (but
> without the same editorial control, of course).  If we have an editor for
> DPN, who can contribute the time then that is best.  But if we don't I was
> looking for a way to keep the same style of content going.

To help keep editorial control, the entries can be blocked until it
has been reviewed, fixed (grammar/spelling/etc), and approved.  This
depends on the software used, of course.  I know that blog/CMS
software exists that has this feature, but I don't know how many of
those are GPL.  I'm confident that an existing GPL'd blog/CMS could be
modified to include this feature if none appear to be available that
suits our needs.