Re: Draft for lenny release announcement

> On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 11:50, Ferenc Wagner <wferi@niif.hu> wrote:
>> Holger Levsen <holger@layer-acht.org> writes:

>>> What does that sentence mean? Why should (only) Windows users need
>>> to reconfigure the bios?
>>
>> To boot from CD instead of HDD, I guess.
>
> Makes sense. In that case, the sentence should be clearer, though.
>
> _Assuming_ this is correct, how about:
>
> ---
> The installer can now modify the boot sector of a running Windows,
> enabling the user to install Debian without the need to reconfigure
> the BIOS to boot from the installation CD.
> ---

That sounds fishy.  As I understand it, win32-loader can start the
installer from Windows, not needing a reboot (thus not needing BIOS
boot order reconfiguration either).  I doubt Windows stays running
during installation, rather it's replaced by the Debian Installer.

So those who don't run Windows (or don't use the win32-loader) still
have to reboot to start the installer, and thus ensure that the BIOS
boots their installer media, not the current OS.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Win32-loader_(Debian)
--
Cheers,
Feri.