Re: Draft for lenny release announcement

On Mon, Feb 09, 2009 at 06:32:52PM +0100, Christian Perrier wrote:
> Quoting Alexander Reichle-Schmehl (alexander@schmehl.info):
>
> > Especially the second and third paragraphs need a better replacement; maybe
> > the d-i or cd folks have a good idea about that?
>
> Let's try to get ideas for the D-I paragraph.
>
> > <!-- p>Using a now fully integrated installation process, Debian GNU/Linux 5.0
> > comes with out-of-the-box support for encrypted partitions.  This
> > release introduces a newly developed graphical front end to the
> > installation system supporting scripts using composed characters and
> > complex languages; the installation system for Debian GNU/Linux has now
> > been translated to 58 languages.</p -->
>
> So, for Etch, we were putting light on encrypted partitions and
> graphical installer.
>
> What do we want to talk about in more details ?

How about something like:

The installation process for Debian GNU/Linux 5.0 has been improved in
many ways: support for installation from more than 1 CD or DVD has been
restored, firmware required by some devices can be loaded by using
external USB media, security updates are installed before the initial
reboot when available, and many other improvements. The installer boot
process has also received many attention: a graphical menu can be used
to choose desktop environments, frontends and select expert or rescue
mode. For Microsoft Windows users, the installer can also be started
without having to reconfigure the system BIOS.

That's an initial try, please improve/rewrite as needed. IMHO, Debian
Live requires a specific section in this announcement.

Cheers,
--
Jérémy Bobbio                        .''`.
lunar@debian.org                    : :Ⓐ  :  # apt-get install anarchism