Re: Proposal for public announcement for the next release update

On Mon, Jul 24, 2006 at 04:20:26PM +0200, Martin Schulze wrote:
> Andreas Barth wrote:
> > just two things:
> >
> > First, I think the release team has the right to send out texts to
> > debian-news on his own. Why didn't you approve our mail? I'm considering
> > to ask the mailing list admins to give us direct permissions to post to
> > that list.
>
> I don't think so.  I didn't think the mail was suitable for the list
> as is,

May I ask why you found the draft not suitable? Maybe outlining your
rationale will help people draft announcements in a way acceptable to
you.

>  which is why I took the liberty to start from scratch and phrase it
>  properly (imho) based on the detailed mail and information Marc sent
>  to the -devel-announce list before

This was obviously not appreciated by the release team who probably
had some special things in mind by submitting the press draft the way
they did.

> > Second, though I really welcome more announcements about the release of
> > Etch, please wait until you get an ok from a release team member,
>
> I would have, if you and Marc wouldn't have whined so much before and
> gotton onto my nerves.  That left me with the impression that this
> issue is so pressing that I must not delay it any further and send it
> out as soon as I consider it suitable.  I'm sorry if I have gotton a
> wrong impression.

I think you're overreacting here. Marc and aba pressed you to post
_their_ version of the announcement. I suspect that if you had told
them "your draft is not suiteable for publication because of foo and
bar" they would have come up with an adapted version quite fast. I can
at least partly understand why they take your ditching of their
preparing work as an offense.

> Unfortunately, this is the second time something like that happens,
> and it has happened exactly after the same receipe.  You prepare an
> announcement, whine about it, adding pressure to me, so that I send it
> out without enough time for re-confirmation, and then you're not happy
> with the result either.

Had you posted their prepared announcement, they would have been happy
with the result. I think that a big part of the problem is your
insisting on editing every piece of mail that goes over the press list.

Greetings
Marc