Re: latest version of Debian LJ ad is ready

On Thu, 2 Jul 1998, Luis Francisco Gonzalez wrote:

> Fredrik Ax wrote:
> > What I wonder is which our main target group is? The ad is currently
> > put together to win users from other Linux distributions which i
> > don't think is the way to go. Instead of competing with the ones
> > within the linux society I think we should try to reach users of
> > other OS:es (including other UNIX variants). Even though it is nice
> > to have as broad user base as possible within the linux community I
> > don't think we should address the other distributions as competitors
> > which are "hard to use" and "impossible to upgrade".
> >
> > I think it would be better to put the advantages of Debian up front,
> > not the disadvantages of other distribution! A change to something
> > like this might do?!?
>
> While I don't have anything against putting advantages of Debian,
> this ad goes to a Linux publication so the target group are mainly
> Linux users/enthusiasts that probably will have some experience
> with some flavour of Linux already so "comparing" them with us is
> not wrong.

I agree that there are no harm in comparing Debian with other
distributions, BUT I think it's nicer to give the article a positive
ring. It would make me feel better if we could win users by
pointing out Debian's good sides rather then pointing out the bad
things about other distributions.

> > And I also think it's bad to say that Debian's cutting edge features
> > set it "above and beyond it's competitors". I think its better to
> > point out that the features and stability made it "space shuttle
> > software". That's something not many OS:es could brag about.
>
> Again I don't see it as wrong though putting positive statements
> seems good, too.

Ok, ok. It's not wrong, it's not even bad. But I still think it's
better to be positive and try to win users on our own merits rather
than writing about other distributions drawbacks.

/Fredrik