Re: Public Relations

In message <[🔎] 19980404134808.07411@azure>, Anthony Towns writes:

>On Fri, Apr 03, 1998 at 02:00:57PM -0500, Nils Lohner wrote:
>> Since the PR area does seem to have a little void, I've put together a
>> prototype page for Debian Publicity on my homepage
>> http://www.rpi.edu/~lohnen
>
>Some comments:
>
>It should probably include a place for an archive of past press releases.

  There is an area called News in Thomas Apel's new Debian page design...
http://www.koeln.netsurf.de/~thomas.apel/debian/index.html past press
releases, news, etc. in my opinion should be kept there.  The current design
also has a Latest News area.  I'll add a pointer to it.  This page is
intended more for policy than for current material.

>I believe articles like "of" and "for" should not be capitalized in
>headings.

Changed...

> Also, in Bruce's guidelines, "Advice" should be spelt with
>a "c", not an "s". I presume the guidelines article was posted to a
>mailing list at some point? I tend to prefer to have some way of
>finding the original (including a Date: and list-name would be a
>start. The date would be particularly useful). A note that Bruce
>is no longer "Debian Project Leader", would probably also be
>appropriate, and I'm unsure as to whether Bruce is still "of SPI".

Clarified.  I don't know where it was posted originally (anyone know?).  I'm
fairly sure Bruce is still with SPI... I'll leave it unless someone tells me
otherwise. Does SPI have a web page?

>I note that that's a link outside your publicity page. I'd be
>disinclined to do that, personally. At least without noting that
>it's an external site.

Changed.

>(Oh, and by the by, Aust. PC has a homepage at http://apcmag.com/,
>and Dr Dobbs has one at http://www.ddj.com/)

Added links.

>I'm presuming that the page is intended to help people promote
>Debian, rather than to promote Debian in itself. In which case it
>would probably also be useful to have a collection of logos and
>pointers to packaging suggestions for CD resellers (or, atm, to the=20
>contest). It might or might not be useful to have a pointer to the
>CD reseller README as well.

Actually, this page is intended to be targeted at the people in
debian-publicity who will release official Debian related material to the
press and public.  The CD related policies etc. should probably stay in the
CD Distributor area.  I'm trying not to take too much information into this
page to avoid bloat...

>Cheers,
>aj

Thanks for the comments!