Re: Public Relations

On Fri, Apr 03, 1998 at 02:00:57PM -0500, Nils Lohner wrote:
> Since the PR area does seem to have a little void, I've put together a
> prototype page for Debian Publicity on my homepage
> http://www.rpi.edu/~lohnen

Some comments:

It should probably include a place for an archive of past press releases.

I believe articles like "of" and "for" should not be capitalized in
headings. Also, in Bruce's guidelines, "Advice" should be spelt with
a "c", not an "s". I presume the guidelines article was posted to a
mailing list at some point? I tend to prefer to have some way of
finding the original (including a Date: and list-name would be a
start. The date would be particularly useful). A note that Bruce
is no longer "Debian Project Leader", would probably also be
appropriate, and I'm unsure as to whether Bruce is still "of SPI".

I note that that's a link outside your publicity page. I'd be
disinclined to do that, personally. At least without noting that
it's an external site.

(Oh, and by the by, Aust. PC has a homepage at http://apcmag.com/,
and Dr Dobbs has one at http://www.ddj.com/)

I'm presuming that the page is intended to help people promote
Debian, rather than to promote Debian in itself. In which case it
would probably also be useful to have a collection of logos and
pointers to packaging suggestions for CD resellers (or, atm, to the
contest). It might or might not be useful to have a pointer to the
CD reseller README as well.

Cheers,
aj

      ``It's not a vision, or a fear. It's just a thought.''