Re: We need to define a path for Debian to climate neutrality

On 2022-04-08 14 h 35, Julian Andres Klode wrote:> I think individual
travel to DebConf and similar events is somewhat> out of our control, as
is the personal behavior of individual> submitters.
I'm not an expert on estimating CO2 output, but I'm pretty sure DebConf
is our largest contribution to CO2 emissions, mainly because of air travel.

The question I've been asking myself these past few years is: "Are
in-person DebConfs worth it?" I think the answer is very clearly yes.

I don't think Debian would be as successful if it were not for DebConf.
It's a very special time of the year and it bolsters collaboration and
helps us fix hard problems.

Even though Debian is not perfect, I believe our project offers a
glimpse of a different future, a viable alternative where individuals
and collectives have control over the technology they use. This to me is
part of the solution to climate change.

To quote Serge Latouche -- a very influential proponent of degrowth -- I
feel Debian is necessary to helps us « décoloniser l'imaginaire »
(decolonize the way we imagine things).

As such, I'm ready to defend the fact we should still continue to hold
DebConfs in person around the world each year.

Cheers,

--
  ⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
  ⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁  Louis-Philippe Véronneau