Re: How about using moderation as a delay system for bad threads?

On Sat, Mar 26, 2022, at 15:43, Alexander Wirt wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> (adding listmaster to Cc: as I don't know how flexible our mailing list software would be)
>>
>> The OSM foundation seems to have a feature in its mailing list software, where, in contentious situations (e.g. during board elections campaigning periods), posters are throttled to one message every 24 hours.
>>
>> https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/osmf-talk/2021-December/008248.html
>>
>> At the time, it seemed to me like an interesting idea that we could be experimenting with to keep flamewars somewhat more contained.
> You are a bit too late, we have such a system for one or two decades.

Thanks for pointing it out, this is useful to know. Is this documented somewhere
that I c/should have found ?

> We can throttle mails down based on everything procmail can choose. We usually
> do this from time to time to throttle down threads based on subject.

Ack. I must admit I've stopped being familiar with procmail for a while. Could
you confirm that enacting a limit of 1 message per sender per day on a given
mailing list (or thread) would be doable without too much extra development?

Is this something that you would consider doing if the Community Team, or DAM,
or other members of the project, were to ask for it?

Thanks again for your work as listmaster,
--
Nicolas Dandrimont