Re: [External] Re: ThinkPad laptops preinstalled Linux

Hi Kurt

On 6/13/2020 5:47 AM, Kurt Roeckx wrote:
On Fri, Jun 12, 2020 at 05:10:11PM -0400, Mark Pearson wrote:
Hi Kurt

On 6/12/2020 2:58 PM, Kurt Roeckx wrote:
On Wed, Jun 03, 2020 at 01:39:08PM +0000, Mark Pearson wrote:

The good - Lenovo are expanding what they offer on Linux (we
had another big announcement yesterday about doing full config
on our workstations with Ubuntu and RHEL). We're asking HW
vendors to have Linux support upstream including firmware on
LVFS which I think is important. It's not perfect yet but it's
getting better and better. We're starting to contribute to open
source projects.

Hi Mark,

Do you know if Lenovo plans to support Linux on all it's
products?

I use LVFS as in indication that it's supported. And there are various products I'm considering buying, most of them are currently not on LVFS. I'm looking at things from the ThinkCentre, IdeaCentre or Legion line.

ThinkCentre should be supported (I'm not 100% sure all of them are
- I can check that)

The only one in LVFS are M90n-1 and M625q, where the M625q doesn't seem to be for sale anymore.

On the other hand, if I look at the website, it depends on what information you look at. If you just look at the comparison between
models, they all only mention Windows 10, except the M75q which
mentions Linux. But if you look at the details, the M75s and M75q
support Linux, but neither is on LVFS.

Hmm - I'll have to go dig and see. More than that are supposed to be supported though just last week I beat up some BIOS teams who haven't been uploading to LVFS (as part of the platform specifications they are required to do it but it hadn't been done....it's still new here)

Supported platforms for 2019 were (I think):
M920 t/s/q/z; M720 t/s/q; M630e, M90n, M75s/q, M820z, EPC300
I've been doing a bunch of work on the M90n (though I haven't put Debian on it yet admittedly)

I'll chase down the others and confirm.

Mark