Re: [External] Re: ThinkPad laptops preinstalled Linux

On Fri, Jun 12, 2020 at 9:47 PM Mark Pearson wrote:

> I have some ideas but is there a 'wishlist' or guidance on which
> platforms are the most popular? Either Lenovo specifics (makes my life
> easier) or general "it should have at least xxxx".

Assume you are talking about hardware platforms here. Debian only has
popularity information for architectures, not more specific than that.
They don't exactly measure popularity, but the install howtos and
installation reports are probably useful. Outside Debian there is the
Linux Hardware Database, which allows folks running Linux to
voluntarily submit details of their Linux distribution and hardware.
The project also publishes some monthly statistics about the
submissions. I gently suggest that Lenovo should be ensuring that all
their Linux capable hardware is represented in the database with at
least one probe :)

https://popcon.debian.org/
https://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebianOn
https://bugs.debian.org/installation-reports
https://wiki.debian.org/Hardware/Database
https://linux-hardware.org/
https://linux-hardware.org/?view=timeline&d=Debian
https://github.com/linuxhw/Trends/tree/master/Dist/Debian

> Anybody want to setup a Debian survey? :)

I guess the surveys site would be the place to do that and the
publicity team could help draw attention to it from the desired
audience.

https://surveys.debian.net/
https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/Publicity
https://wiki.debian.org/DeveloperNews

> So we have a few platforms coming out in the next few months. X1 Carbon
> is usually high on users wish list - but maybe that's less the case for
> developers? (I personally quite like mine...)

I've seen previous models of X1 Carbon at DebConf in past years.

--
bye,
pabs

https://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise