Re: [External] Re: ThinkPad laptops preinstalled Linux

On Fri, Jun 5, 2020 at 1:20 PM Mark Pearson wrote:

> I haven't so far got as far as thinking about the backporting stage so I
> probably need more education there. My goal so far has been to get fixes
> from upstream into sid so that Debian users can pick them up from there.

It sounds like you are saying that the Linux kernel release cycle
(every 2-3 months) plus the time it takes them to get into Debian is
too slow for Lenovo. While Debian sid is waiting for the next Linux
kernel release, it does get updated with Linux kernel stable releases,
which get fixes that are backported from the next Linux kernel
release. I guess that this might work for some of those fixes, but it
would not work for new drivers or new features etc.

https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/process/stable-kernel-rules.html

--
bye,
pabs