RE: [External] Re: ThinkPad laptops preinstalled Linux

On Wed, Jun 3, 2020 at 1:39 pm, Mark Pearson <mpearson@lenovo.com> wrote:
From my point of view what I've been trying to do is to get more involved so I can contribute/backport fixes directly. I get good insight into what issues impact our platforms and when fixes land upstream. It seems the best way to make contribute and make a difference. Unfortunately I've still got a *lot* of learning to do and it's a really slow process because the loop between offering a fix, getting it reviewed to find out what you did wrong and contributing the update is crazy slow (for example I have kernel MR 240 open for four weeks for an OLED brightness issue that a lot of users think is important). My expectation is that as I make fewer mistakes and earn some trust that will help - but until that point (which I'm guessing will take years 😊) I have limited handles that I can pull on to make things happen. My *impression* is there is limited desire to accelerate fixes for Lenovo platforms - I suspect mostly because people are just plenty busy with the things they care about instead and I understand that.

Hi Mark,

I also use a Thinkpad (X240) with Debian unstable, it mostly work except for some issues with touchpad and suspend (touchpad stops working after resuming from suspend, but I work around it using an external mouse).

As someone who maintains a package that moves too fast for debian (gitlab which does not provide security updates to a release after 3 months) and part of the team that maintains https://fasttrack.debian.net, I am happy to help you here.

I also mentor a lot of new contributors to Debian, so feel free to ask me about any Debian issues and processes. I'm not an expert in drivers and hardware, but I can definitely help with backporting part. We could use fasttrack to make things available sooner to stable users if regular backports are not possible.

A shout out for Hector Martinez who has been helping me a whole bunch. Without his help I likely would have given up and wouldn't even be reading the threads on this forum. If there are more people like Hector (particularly in kernel, audio and graphics) let me know!

This email took me a long time to write - I'm *very* aware that I'm new to this and don't want to cause offence. Please take all of the above with the recognition that my viewpoint into Debian is still limited and if I've said anything dumb/wrong/offensive let me know so I can learn what I'm missing.

Mark