Re: Debian utility live distribution (was Re: ThinkPad laptops preinstalled Linux)

On 6/11/20 8:30 PM, Ryan Finnie wrote:
As the developer of Finnix, I'm open to a few ideas and this will be a
bit of a ramble going off in a few directions.  But first, a bit of an
introduction.  Finnix is a utility Live CD, in production since 2000[0].
  I recently released Finnix 120[1] after a 4+ year gap, but thanks to
the updated work of Debian's live-build by Lyndon Brown making it easier
to maintain a derivative[2], I've committed to regular releases again.

IMO, Finnix should be the model.  Grml is a very good project but I think is a bit of an overkill for an install/rescue disk.  Like I mentioned before, I used Arch before and the convenience of having an installer/live rescue on a single usb is very handy.

I was working on an Ubuntu project this morning and just realized that their server image is actually a live disto. During install if one switches to the virtual console, it opens not Busybox but a full bash command prompt.