Debian hardware support and enablement for newer devices (was ThinkPad laptops preinstalled Linux)

Hello,

> > A shout out for Hector Martinez who has been helping me a whole bunch. Without his help I likely would have given up and wouldn't even be reading the threads on this forum. If there are more people like Hector (particularly in kernel, audio and graphics) let me know!

> As I become more aware of your requirements I can help find more Hectors
> too :)

There are more companies expecting better hardware support, this issue
is not limited to Lenovo, they are willing to pay consultancy time
and/or sponsor Debian events, however on volunteer premises, it has
been really hard to provide adequate support for them, companies would
like to have quick turn around fixes, while Debian takes ages to land
something and/or to backport those changes to stable (which is the
installer advertised at our debian.org website). There is a workaround
by creating a consultancy and pay Debian developers, a la Debian LTS,
but that has been at least controversial and, to my knowledge, no
general solution has been provided.

As a project, how can we improve the current entry level to new
companies wanting support for their devices?

Note: companies now understand they need to contribute upstream first,
however that's not enough to get timely fixes to Debian.

Regards
--