Re: [External] Re: ThinkPad laptops preinstalled Linux

 ❦  4 juin 2020 00:35 +00, Paul Wise:

>> Then, we need the SOF firmwares, currently not in Debian. I see
>> you have #960788. I just got aware of it through #962134. I am happy to
>> help you on this package and get it uploaded.
>
> Unfortunately SOF firmware, while it has freely licensed source code,
> is not (very) useful to package properly (reproducibly built from
> source etc) for Debian. The issue is that many devices require the
> firmware binaries to have an Intel signature on them, so even though
> we have freely licensed source code, we do not have the four freedoms
> since we cannot upload our own firmware binaries onto the audio
> devices. So the best option here is for Intel to do the building and
> signing and get them included in linux-firmware and then Debian pull
> the latest version of that.

Unfortunately, updating firmware-nonfree is difficult:

Also, related to Lenovo, a more recent version of iwlwifi is also needed
to get a stable wifi.

I have also updated the firmwares for the GPU in hope of getting a
better stability during the 5.3/5.4 era.

With the dock and a recent kernel, I also need a firmware for the
Realtek NIC chipset (I didn't bother to open an issue).

Ben just doesn't have time to do updates. However, checking the git
repository, I see there may be a release in progress. So we could
squeeze the SOF firmwares here.

https://salsa.debian.org/kernel-team/firmware-nonfree/-/commits/master
--
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would
be a merrier world.