Re: Testing Discourse for Debian - Moderation concepts

Neil McGovern <neilm@debian.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 15, 2020 at 12:47:06PM +0200, Ansgar wrote:
> > I'm not concerned about marking messages read after some time and
> > keeping the view time in ephermal storage for that.  But that's not
> > what Discourse does: as described elsewhere it stores all read times
> > persistently on the server; that would not be neccessary for marking
> > posts as read even on a web application.
>
> No, but it is required for things like knowing which posts in a topic
> is popular, so should be used for auto-summary.

The more I think about this, the more I think "required" is overstating
it. The system could just trust users to click "like" or "thanks" or
"+1" or whatever on a post, rather than spying on them.

> It also is used to reduce abuse, as a normal new user would spend
> time reading topics before posting for the first time.

Such heuristics have a bad history of blocking (and sometimes grossly
insulting) people who use access-assistance software and special apps
because they find unmodified major web browsers hard to use. I haven't
tested any on discourse yet because it's a lot of work to sift the
javascripts.

Nonetheless, in case you don't already know, I really appreciate your
work in giving us an instance to test and explore these concepts and
consider what next.

Regards,
--

MJR http://mjr.towers.org.uk/