Re: Testing Discourse for Debian - Moderation concepts

On Wed, Apr 15, 2020 at 11:08:45AM +0200, Martin wrote:
> On 2020-04-15 08:56, Neil McGovern wrote:
> > Could I point out that the email program you wrote this message in is
> > doing the same?
>
> Could you elaborate on that? Ansgar seems to use
> (While I'm using mutt.) How do such UAs track reading behaviour?

Evolution tracks how long you've looked at a message in order to mark it
read. This is configurable in Preferences -> Mail Preferences -> Mark
messages read after X seconds. My point is that one cannot simply say
"user tracking is bad", as it may be required for actual functionality.
User tracking is also known as "saving state" :)

> > Quoting does work in most circumstances. Could you explain what
> > additional funtionality is missing?
>
> Speeking for myself, I find the email support in Discourse poor,
> to the point, that I would not advertise it. It is useful for
> notifications, but by far not en par with the web UI.

Interestingly, I've generally mixed replying via email with visiting the
site. I would agree that it's not en par with the web UI, but I don't
think it ever can be, due to email being designed rather differently.

> After reading more about Discourses many features ("likes"...),
> this is completely understandable that one cannot mimic one
> medium via the other. Trying so, will lead only to frustration.

Just on this one, you can a little. Replying with a +1 will turn your
email into a "like". Currently supported actions are:
* +1 or like: likes the post
* watch: watches the topic
* track: tracks the topic
* mute: mutes the topic

> Btw. do you know by accident, how I can "lurk" in Discourse via
> email? E.g. Let's say, I'm subscribed to debian-project, but
> only to know what is going on. Can I subscribe to a "category"?

Yes. You can subscribe to categories, topics and tags (or combinations
of them). For example, if you only ever care about m68k, you could watch
#m68k and get a notification email for that across all categories.

Neil