Re: Testing Discourse for Debian - Moderation concepts

Hi Ansgar,

To start with, I want to say that I found your mail to be quite
frustrating. I feel it may have been more constructive to phrase
concerns as questions, rather than stating them as facts, and ascribing
motivations or inferances which simply aren't correct. That said, I'll
try and reply to the factual bits.

On Tue, Apr 14, 2020 at 02:30:52PM +0200, Ansgar wrote:
> The "trust levels" though are one of the features that I don't like: in
> particular "Trust Level 3 - Regular" mostly requires to constantly
> visit the site every day (or every other day), read x% of all posts and
> topics (even though they might not be relevant to your interest or in a
> foreign language you don't speak), ...  to not get demoted again.

This is the default configuration. It can be changed to pretty much any
limit we want, including zero. However, I should point out that the
additional important abilities gained at this level are that the user can:
* Recategorize and rename topics
* TL3 spam flags cast on TL0 user posts immediately hide the post
* TL3 flags cast on TL0 user posts in sufficient diversity will
  auto-silence the user and hide all their posts

The point of the trust levels is to distribute the moderation. Whatever
metric we come up with, it will involve a certain amount of actually
using the site, and engaging with the community.

> The system also requires tracking active read time and such; I don't
> really like a system doing that...

Could I point out that the email program you wrote this message in is
doing the same? Exactly how this work and the reason for it being
required is explained here:
https://meta.discourse.org/t/how-does-post-tracking-work-in-discourse/115790

> The notifications to welcome new people or that the system hasn't seem
> someone for some time[1] also seem designed to manipulate people into
> spending more time on the system.

Could you explain this please? I feel that having a notification (which
only appears for people who regularly interact with the site) that
someone is new to the community to be useful.

> The claim of Discourse having an excellent email interface also feels
> exagerrated: unless I missed something[2] it seems very basic.  One can
> send and receive messages, but quoting in replies already doesn't work
> as usual and any additional functionality isn't exposed at all as far
> as I can tell.

Quoting does work in most circumstances. Could you explain what
additional funtionality is missing?

> > Instead, it encourages community members to flag posts. If a post receives
> > sufficient flags, it is then automatically hidden. Users may chose to
> > "unhide" the post for themseleves if they wish to view it.
> >
> > These are then sent to the moderating team to agree, disagree or
> > ignore the flag.
>
> What decides who is in the moderation team? That seems to be something
> different from the trust levels?

Yes. At the moment those in the moderation team is... well, me. I would
expect to follow something similar to Mozilla:
https://discourse.mozilla.org/t/updates-to-moderation-guidelines/55552

> I would also expect Discourse to have some way to entirely remove
> messages, or at least remove the original content fully and replace it
> with a notice that the message was removed; who can do that? Also the
> moderation team?

Yes, that is correct.

Neil