Re: [BTB] Asking vs enforcing (was: [Summary] Discourse for Debian)

On Fri, Apr 17, 2020 at 11:07:04AM +0200, Pierre-Elliott Bécue wrote:

[...]

> As said, the weight I'm giving to my act is perfectly in the scope of
> our delegation: we will act upon this should the matter persist.

I have no qualms with you intervening here.

I think before you intervended there were enough people around here
making clear that the Hitler metaphor was inappropriate. It seems
that the poster in question accepted that.

Whatever happened in private and behind the scenes I can't assess,
so I'll shut up there. My mail address is in the open, I'm willing
to listen.

[...]

> Indeed, because it's our job to remind the CoC and try to have it
> respected. And it's regarding this job that I intervened. I'm happy
> that we agree on this and therefore don't really understand how you
> could have thought that I was going out of line.

I do have an issue with the tone you chose. Actually I'm a bit
horrified by it. In a situation which seemed to be on the way
to deescalation, you chose a tone which contributed to escalation
(I'm not assuming intention, but I see the effects).

Perhaps we can agree on a couple of things, will we?

 - Hitler is off-topic here. It used to be a meme in Usenet
   times, but it wasn't a good idea then and we're glad we
   don't need that

 - If someone obviously apologizes in public, by all means,
   take his/her word for it. Yeah, people lie sometimes (I
   know *I* do), but don't assume a lie unless you have
   strong evidence for it

Thanks & cheers
-- tomás