Re: [Summary] Discourse for Debian

On Wed, Apr 15, 2020 at 10:39:31AM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> <tomas@tuxteam.de> writes:
> > On Wed, Apr 15, 2020 at 12:45:13PM +0100, Neil McGovern wrote:
>
> >> If there is sufficient pushback, I'll delete the instance, move on with
> >> my life, and conclude that no one in Debian can possibly try and
> >> innovate or do new things unless it is either:
> >> * 100% optional for people, or
> >> * made completely compatable with the old way of doing things
>
> > Oh, now. This wasn't necessary.
>
> I think it was.  The amount of hostility with which Neil is being met for
> even trying something new is kind of staggering, and if I were him, I
> would be equally upset.

I do agree on the "hostility" point. This isn't necessary either.

That said, Neil's reply (while out of understandable frustration)
matches a very dangerous anti-pattern: "you just oppose to X because
you are resistant to change".

This is bound to offend the other side, for obvious reasons[1], thus
escalating the thing further. We know that antipattern from former
discussions. I know *you* know it (and thanks for the role you
played back then, BTW).

I think we haven't yet learnt the lessons from back then.

Cheers
[1] if they ain't obvious, I'll glad to expand. But not here, to
   avoid creating a wall of text.
-- tomás