Re: [Summary] Discourse for Debian

On Wed, Apr 15, 2020 at 10:50 AM Neil McGovern <neilm@debian.org> wrote:

> Hi Brian,
>
> On Wed, Apr 15, 2020 at 10:12:21AM -0400, Brian Gupta wrote:
> > Do we have to start by making it a mandatory switch? I don't feel consensus to
> > move to discourse will be impossible in the long term but it's normal for human
> > beings to resist change, especially during a time of otherwise great stress.
> >

> I think we're miles away from making it a mandatory switch! In fact, I
> explictly stated this in my initial email:
> > What about the mailing lists?
> >   This may or may not be a replacement for any particular list. I suspect
> >   there are some thet would benefit greatly from having Discourse be the
> >   primary interaction, and other places where this would be less suitable.
> >
> > Be specific!
> >  Ok... I think debian-user, debian-vote and possibly debian-project would
> >  be better off in Discourse. I think debian-devel-announce should stay as
> >  an email list (for now). However, I am not suddenly proposing that we shut
> >  those lists down. The aim of this exercise is to see if Discourse would
> >  work well for us.
>
> The whole point of this is to evaluate if Discourse would work for
> Debian at all, rather than if it should be the primary communication
> platform. I think that discussion is very different.
>
> > How do you feel about making discourse.debian.org, and making it a fully
> > supported tool, that's fully backed up, and available as an alternative for new
> > lists? He can have another discussion later about migrating existing lists.
> >

> Personally, I think that would be fantastic, and the idea behind this
> initial call for testing is to determine if I should be spending my
> time, and aiming for a discourse.debian.org instance, or if there is no
> appetite for that.

I suspect that if we can table migrating existing lists, then we can probably
reach a short term consensus to stand up such an instance, assuming there are
volunteers to care and feed it. (My assumption is that migration of existing
lists would be on a per list basis, and require an internal consensus among the
list participants.)

Cheers,
Brian