Re: Question to all: Outreach

Hello!

On 18.03.20 12:01, Shengjing Zhu wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 18, 2020 at 5:26 PM Daniel Lange <DLange@debian.org> wrote:
> [...]
>> As Debian can afford paying for its interns itself, we do.
>
> This looks bad to me. Should Debian pay directly to its contributors?
> PS, IMO it's totally fine that other parties to pay Debian
> contributors, like the LTS program.

Why not?

The money comes from people and companies who explicitly support Debian
to do this work, just like the work on LTS.

This investment is aiming at making Debian a more diverse community,
which it currently isn't (1010 DDs, out of which less than 30, last time
I counted, are female, trans, inter, queer aka. FTIQ*).
Research has shown [1] that this is due to a variety of reasons, one of
which is the lack of free time or financial support and free time for
these people.

We are talking about a total payment of 5000 USD (minus taxes for the
contributors according to their country's tax law) per intern. This
money is not received for nothing but for doing three months of
full-time work that advances a variety of projects in Debian.

After which interns generally continue to contribute for free, if the
mentoring program hasn't been horribly bad at supporting them to do so.

Ulrike

[1]
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/264799720_FLOSSPOLS_Deliverable_D_16_Gender_Integrated_Report_of_Findings