Re: Question to all: Outreach

[Moving to debian-project from debian-vote if your intend is to
discuss on the topic]

Missatge de Ulrike Uhlig <ulrike@debian.org> del dia dt., 17 de març
2020 a les 21:46:

> (I have no idea if I am allowed to reply to this, or if only DPL
> candidates are supposed to reply. Hence forgive me if I'm overstepping a
> boundary here. Please tell me if that is the case by the way.)

> > I have been trying to measure the return from such program but looking
> > at their mailing list for information,
> >   https://lists.debian.org/debian-outreach/
> > does not lead to any results or information. Maybe I am looking at the
> > wrong space?
>
> In which role (or with which hat) have you been trying to measure the
> return? And by return, do you specifically refer to the term return on
> investment?

No hats here! A plain Debian contributor role. I feel I might have
picked confusing words, while RoI I understand it as more of a finance
term. What I meant is that "as plain Debian contributor" looking at
the email archives from Dec 2019 to March 2020 I find no valuable
information, there is nothing to measure. Lack of communication
perhaps?

With my DebConf sponsors hat, I am well aware of "Improving the
DebConf fundraising processes" and I believe Anisa has done really
good work and relief quite an amount of work the team does.

> As a former Outreachy intern myself (2015) I can tell you that it the
> stipend has helped me to invest time to find my way around Debian, time
> during which otherwise I would have had to earn a living elsewhere and
> would never have gotten involved further with Debian.

It looks like you were a really successful part of the program, and
since you are Debian contributor, maybe you should consider helping
out the team and get more involved in Outreach coordination, I am very
positive you would do really awesome work there.

> There are many people in Debian who were GSoC students and are active
> Debian contributors, DMs, DDs. In which way does Outreachy differ from
> GSoC from a Debian point of view - besides the fact that it explicitly
> encourages people from underrepresented communities and non-students?

That's great, I'd love to see more successful outreach stories to help
on coordinating the Debian Outreach side of things.

Regards
--