Re: Question to all: Outreach

Hi 朱晟菁,

Am 18.03.20 um 09:43 schrieb Shengjing Zhu:
It's still not clear to me the difference between GSoC and Outreachy program.

GSoC is a Google program:
 https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/

Outreachy is a SFC program (originally founded at GNOME):
 https://www.outreachy.org

Both are unrelated except for Outreachy not accepting interns that have already had a GSoC assignment and Debian choosing to run them both via the Debian Outreach team, cf. https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/Outreach .

IIUC, GSoC interns are paid by Google, which I appreciate their generosity.

Correct.

But who pays Outreachy interns? Is this the same that some companies
pay for it? like the companies logo on https://www.outreachy.org/.
However I'm confused that Debian is listed as sponsor on
https://www.outreachy.org. Why Debian sponsors other programs while
Debian needs others' sponsors?

Outreachy internships can be paid for by the sponsoring organization that also hosts the interns (i.e. Debian), by other organizations paying for specific assignments (i.e. the United Nations) or by sourcing from Outreachy's general fund.
As Debian can afford paying for its interns itself, we do.

Other organizations cannot and they are partially supported from our "share" that Outreachy.org takes ($500 per intern)* and donations that Outreachy.org gets awarded by other donors for granting internships and/or supporting its own charitable mission.
See https://www.outreachy.org/sponsor/ for details.

* this also pays for the administrative work Outreachy.org
staff are doing for the projects, managing the internships

Kind regards,
Daniel