Re: Request to Mini DebConf Montreal Organizers: Fight Israel not the DC20 Team

Le mercredi, 19 février 2020, 20.04:12 h CET Sam Hartman a écrit :
> Then we miss an opportunity for the Montreal organizers to clearly and
> unambiguously say to the world and Debian their fight is with the
> government of Israel not with the DC20 volunteers.

They never said otherwise.  They never said _this_ specifically, but they
never said otherwise.  Of course, there's a sad shadow of negativity in their
announce mail, that could have been avoided; I'm not disputing this.  But I
really feel you're reading more than they wrote, or intended.

Let me quote this again:
> Following the announcement of the DebConf20 location, our desire to
> participate became incompatible with our commitment toward the Boycott,
> Divestment and Sanctions (BDS) campaign launched by Palestinian civil
> society in 2005. Hence, many active Montreal-based Debian developpers,
> along with a number of other Debian developpers, have decided not to
> travel to Israel in August 2020 for DebConf20.
>
> Nevertheless, recognizing the importance of DebConf for the health of
> both the developper community and the project as a whole, we decided to
> organize a miniDebConf just prior to DebConf20 in the hope that fellow
> developpers who may have otherwise skipped DebConf entirely this year
> might join us instead. Fellow developpers who decide to travel to both
> events are of course most welcome.

I have now read this dozens of times; I _still_ find this fairly nuanced and
very well-written; I'm quite sure they spend quite some time fine-tuning this.
It is explaining _their_ participation incompatibility to a DebConf in Israel,
and _their_ motivation to organize another, separate, but still connected
event. They _explicitely_ make sure people willing to attend both events are
able and welcome to do so.

Asking them to commit to an explicit declaration of support to another Debian
team (not lower than withdrawing their request for logistical support from the
project; really !?) that they never "not supported" is unnecessarily
humiliating, and uncalled for.

--
    OdyX