Re: Request to Mini DebConf Montreal Organizers: Fight Israel not the DC20 Team

I have taken my frustration to Sam, and he clarified one thing:

Le mercredi, 19 février 2020, 16.17:00 h CET Sam Hartman a écrit :
> So, I'm going to approve the budget with one change requested by the
> DebConf committee.  But see below.

I (now) understand this to mean "both the budget and the use of Debian
ressources" _are_ approved. This makes the following request _very_ bizarre.

> My Request to Montreal Organizers
> =================================
>
> (…)
> So, I ask you to find and make some meaningful, clear statement to show
> support for our volunteers putting on DC20.
>
> I think the easiest way for you to do that is to withdraw your budget
> request and for you to do the conference logistics on your own. (…)
>
> If that's not your choice, then I ask you to find some other meaningful
> way (stronger than just words) to show support for the volunteers in
> Debian, even though you disagree with the location.
>
> The choice is entirely yours.
> This is a request.  You can reinterpret it or even ignore it.

At the risk of poking a little fun at recent US politics: this _really really_
reads as a /quid pro quo/.

You are still saying "one way is to withdraw your budget request (…); if that
is not your choice, I _ask_ you to find some other way". So what happens if
they put your request to /dev/null, if you're not withdrawing the DPL
approval?

You are asking the Montreal miniDebConf Team to "show support for our
volunteers putting on DC20" while, at *no point*, they have said *anything*
contrary. They said "we cannot _attend_ DebConf20 for personal reasons", and
now you're asking them to show their allegiance to the Debian project; or what
is it?. That's not (quoting your own words): "valuing the other members of
Debian even when you disagree with them".

I'm really disappointed and sad that you found no other way to support both
the DebConf20 _and_ the Montreal miniDebConf teams other than asking the
latter explicitly to do without Debian's logistical support.

    OdyX