Re: possibly exhausted ftp-masters (Re: Do we still value contributions?

Hello,

On Thu 26 Dec 2019 at 04:05am +00, Mo Zhou wrote:

> However, accelerating the recruitment process of ftp team looks quite
> difficult to all participants, including the ftp-masters and the trainees:
>
> ftp-master:
>  * time and energy is limited. doesn't have enough resource to provide
>    too much feedbacks to the trainee
>  * wants to make sure every new member will be qualified enough to take
>    this important role.
>
> trainee:
>  * limited time and energy. generally not able to produce a large amount
>    of reviews to the NEW packages in a short period of time
>  * lacks feed back. they don't know how are they actually doing in
>    reviewing the NEW packages.
>
> So accelerating the recruitment process is not easy, given that we will
> not lower our quality standards.
>
> ---
>
> I think Sean shares some similar feelings.
>
> FTP team shouts for help, and the team seems too "exhausted" to even
> accept help ...
>
> I respect all my fellow developers and their endeavor. In this mail
> I'm simply describing the fact I saw.

Not sure why I'm being mentioned here; I don't recall writing about this
anywhere.  I agree with you that effective recruitment to teams with
roles like the ftpteam is a difficult problem to solve for volunteer
projects like ours.  I don't have a settled opinion about exactly why
it's difficult and what if anything we might do better, however.

--
Sean Whitton