Re: I think We're Done: Debian and Non-Free Services

    Thomas> Not discussing the issue itself, just (respectfully)
    Thomas> commenting on your reply.

    Thomas> If there's no valid reason to prefer Github, then it would
    Thomas> be very easy to just enforce the use only Salsa. Therefore,
    Thomas> I'm just trying to understand what the incentives are. Your
    Thomas> reply saying "because they can" sounds a bit silly to me,
    Thomas> and isn't very helpful...

I understand this desire, and it sounds like you've gotten some valuable
feedback.

One of the things I'm supposed to do under Constitution 4.1 (9) is lead
and facilitate discussions.
We've received significant feedback on debian-devel that long mailing
list threads have a cost to a number of members in our community.

One of the things I noticed while compiling the recent Git summary is
that the discussion of Github and non-free services took up much more
space in the discussion than anything else.
Even though we knew very early on that we weren't going to be able to
change anything.

We've reached the point where we need to be done with this thread both
here and on debian-devel.

If you want to continue learning about Github usage in Debian I
recommend reaching out respectfully to individuals who have participated
in the discussion and asking them if they would be willing to help you
continue to learn.

I'm sure we'll revisit this all some day.  Technologies, usage patterns,
etc change.  Perhaps some cross-project service on a free platform will
gain momentum.

But for now, we're done.