Re: Debian and Non-Free Services

Hi Ole,

Thanks for your reply.

On 10/4/19 8:18 PM, Ole Streicher wrote:
> Thomas Goirand <zigo@debian.org> writes:
>> On 9/13/19 2:35 AM, Scott Kitterman wrote:
>>> It's based on a false premise.  No one is forced to use any VCS to
>>> maintain Debian packages.  If you don't want to talk to GitHub, send
>>> a patch to the BTS.
>>
>> If one slenderizes about a particular VCS URL, it means it is where he
>> wishes to have pull/merge requests from. Otherwise, what's the point?

s/slenderizes/advertises/

Sorry for the typo, I'm not sure how my spell-checker did that ... :)

> No, it just means "This is the canonical location for the packaging
> repository." Nothing more. There is no information about the workflow
> preferred by the maintainer.

So, if someone is not using Github's "advanced" features, like pull
requests and so on, why that person would care about using Github more
than using Salsa?

> You may guess that people using github accept pull requests, but you
> even can't see whether they actually like them -- there are many reasons
> why people use github, and PRs may not necessarily the specific reason
> for the repository.

I'm just trying to understand here...
Apart from the "close to upstream" bit, what would be the reasons?

> And, BTW, sometimes contributing to a Debian package requires
> communication with upstream (creating a bug report or discussing a
> patch); in this case you cannot avoid the use of non-free services
> anyway, since you are then bound to their choice of services.

This is bound to the choice of each package maintainer, and has nothing
to do with the rules for packaging within Debian. In other words: what
you are discussing is IMO off-topic.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)