Re: Debian and Non-Free Services

Hi Thomas,

Thomas Goirand <zigo@debian.org> writes:
> On 9/13/19 2:35 AM, Scott Kitterman wrote:
>> It's based on a false premise.  No one is forced to use any VCS to
>> maintain Debian packages.  If you don't want to talk to GitHub, send
>> a patch to the BTS.
>
> If one slenderizes about a particular VCS URL, it means it is where he
> wishes to have pull/merge requests from. Otherwise, what's the point?

No, it just means "This is the canonical location for the packaging
repository." Nothing more. There is no information about the workflow
preferred by the maintainer.

You may guess that people using github accept pull requests, but you
even can't see whether they actually like them -- there are many reasons
why people use github, and PRs may not necessarily the specific reason
for the repository.

On the other hand, you *know* that BTS patches are accepted, so I do not
see why they would not be the preferred way when in doubt.

And, BTW, sometimes contributing to a Debian package requires
communication with upstream (creating a bug report or discussing a
patch); in this case you cannot avoid the use of non-free services
anyway, since you are then bound to their choice of services.

Best regards

Ole