Re: Debian and Non-Free Services

On 10/9/19 4:16 PM, Bernd Zeimetz wrote:

> On 10/5/19 11:42 PM, Thomas Goirand wrote:
>>> No, it just means "This is the canonical location for the packaging
>>> repository." Nothing more. There is no information about the workflow
>>> preferred by the maintainer.
>>
>> So, if someone is not using Github's "advanced" features, like pull
>> requests and so on, why that person would care about using Github more
>> than using Salsa?
>
> because they are free to do so.
> If pornhub would offer a git server with more features than github and
> gitlab, people would probably start to use it, too. Free people in a
> free world are free to use whatever they like to, even if you think that
> the service they like to use is not free or is not your taste or
> whatever else.
>
> If you don't like it, clone it, push it, mirror it. You are free to do so.
>
> But please stop telling other people what they are supposed to do or not.
>
> Git is like your favorite car. You can buy one from VW with
> maybe-broken-software, it will serve you well until it dies.
> Or you can build your own "free" car, it will serve you well until it dies.
>
> Would you like it that various people tell you not to drive your lovely
> VW because it is not free?

Not discussing the issue itself, just (respectfully) commenting on your
reply.

If there's no valid reason to prefer Github, then it would be very easy
to just enforce the use only Salsa. Therefore, I'm just trying to
understand what the incentives are. Your reply saying "because they can"
sounds a bit silly to me, and isn't very helpful...

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)