Re: Debian and Non-Free Services

On 10/8/19 9:49 AM, Michael Lustfield wrote:
> On Sat, 5 Oct 2019 23:42:50 +0200
> Thomas Goirand <zigo@debian.org> wrote:
>
>> So, if someone is not using Github's "advanced" features, like pull
>> requests and so on, why that person would care about using Github more
>> than using Salsa?
>>
>>> You may guess that people using github accept pull requests, but you
>>> even can't see whether they actually like them -- there are many reasons
>>> why people use github, and PRs may not necessarily the specific reason
>>> for the repository.
>>
>> I'm just trying to understand here...
>> Apart from the "close to upstream" bit, what would be the reasons?
>
> I prefer GitHub over Debian's GitLab instance because:
>
> - It's significantly more stable
>   + I've seen "GitLab is not responding" more times than I can keep track of
>   + I've also seen a large number of 500 and 504 errors (at least 1x/wk)
>   + This reliably fails: https://salsa.debian.org/api/v4/groups/debian
> - GitHub often addresses problems quickly; this is rare with salsa
> - GitHub takes efforts to provide root cause analysis & lessons learned
> - Decisions are discussed, instead of drunken thoughts over chips and salsa
> - I've witnessed more changes accepted by GitHub
>   + Salsa concerns have been met with, "fix it in upstream or go away"
>   + GitHub concerns have been met with, "this is now an internal incident"
>     & often fixed within a month or two
> - It's a well-known standard solution where many people already have accounts
> - GitHub admins are *much* more responsive (for obvious reasons)
>
> I prefer GitHub over GitLab, in general, because:
>
> - GitHub doesn't require javascript just to browse repos
> - GitHub is often *much* faster to respond to feature requests
> - GitHub stages upgrades; improving general stability
> - GitLab has a *lot* of weird ACL bugs
>   + I can create projects in groups that I have no access to maintain
>   + I can create branches that won't let me force push (git push -f)
>   + I can create projects that let me push to anything except master
>   + I can be given maintainer access to a team owning those projects, but still
>     run into all the same problems
>
> I can provide a much longer list, but it shouldn't be necessary. There are
> plenty of reasons why someone would prefer GitHub over other alternatives.
> Attempting to force one option only going to further divide our community.

You (and FWIW everyone else) didn't provide any *feature* that's missing
in Salsa. I do hear the above, but I was expecting to read about
features missing in Gitlab. It's nice that it doesn't seem to be the case.

BTW, I do not agree that Salsa is often down, badly maintained, or buggy
in general. Compared to Alioth, that's a big plus. I am also very
thankful for the work done so far.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)