Re: Debian and Non-Free Services

On Thu, Sep 12, 2019 at 01:30:24PM -0400, Sam Hartman wrote:

> I'm trying to move a thread from -devel.
>
> Ian Jackson responded [1] to part of a consensus discussion on Git
>   recommendations.  I had said that I think we recommend against the use
>   of non-free services like Github but do not forbid their use.
>   Ian disagreed with this recommendation.
>
> I responded [2] noting that around 7% of the packages with a vcs-git in
>   unstable are hosted on Github.
>
> Ian said [3] that he was confident if we had a GR to forbid use of services
>   like Github it would pass.
>
> He proposed the following text for such a GR.
>
> I think such a discussion is better on -project.

Thanks.

>   [1]:
>   https://lists.debian.org/msgid-search/23927.51367.848949.15475@chiark.greenend.org.uk
>   [2]: https://lists.debian.org/msgid-search/tslwoedy93e.fsf_-_@suchdamage.org
>   [3]:
>   https://lists.debian.org/msgid-search/23930.17192.131171.455527@chiark.greenend.org.uk
>

>   Subject: Free Software Needs Free Tools
>
>   No Debian contributor should be expected or encouraged, when working
>   to improve Debian, to use non-free tools.

That applies to any tool, also free ones.

>   This includes proprietary
>   web services.

And free web services.

>   We will ensure this, insofar as it is within Debian's
>   collective control.
>
>   For example, Vcs-Git fields in source packages must not refer to
>   proprietary git code management systems.  Non-Debian services are
>   acceptable here so long as they are principally Free Software.

Then maintainers could remove them as a workaround.

>   We encourage all our upstreams to use Free/Libre tools.
>
>   We recognise that metadata in Debian which describes the behaviour
>   of those outside our community, for example fields which refer to
>   upstream source management systems, may (in order to be accurate)
>   still need to refer to proprietary systems.

Our upstreams are free to use what they want.

Note that salsa.d.o is a legal risk. When a contributor uploads
non-distributable software, then Debian is in fact redistributing it
immediately. Should we promote Github? :-)

Cheers,

Bart