Re: Debian and Non-Free Services

On Thu, Sep 12, 2019 at 10:37:58PM +0000, Dr. Bas Wijnen wrote:
> > I would not like to make cooperation with upstream more complicated.
>
> I agree with that. However, I'm not sure if it would make it harder. How does
> this cooperation work, where you need your packaging to be on the same host as
> upstream?

It's sometimes easier to send patches to upstream if you can just send them a
pull request. In fact, one of my upstreams (ola) has told me repeatedly
that they prefer that.

It's easier to send them a pull request if your code is on the same
platform as theirs.

However, using their platform does not require that you *only* use their
platform. My ola repository is on github[1], but also on salsa[2].

[1] https://github.com/yoe/ola
[2] https://salsa.debian.org/wouter/ola

--
To the thief who stole my anti-depressants: I hope you're happy

  -- seen somewhere on the Internet on a photo of a billboard