Re: Debian and Non-Free Services

> On Sep 14, 2019, at 02:15, Pierre-Elliott Bécue <peb@debian.org> wrote:
>
>> Does this also imply we are reverting the GR on non-free sections?
>>
>> https://www.debian.org/vote/2004/vote_002
>>
>> Yao Wei
>
> I have a clear doubt about your understanding of my email.
>
> Can you develop your point ?

That was my random thought:

If we cannot use non-free software for Debian packaging, we cannot naturally install what we pack to examine the package.  Therefore I thought the existence of non-free section is probably doomed.

But since non-free section is not part of Debian per DSC §5, therefore that's not so related here.

Sorry for confusion, and I will try communicating carefully.

The usage of non-free tools for packaging should be okay because we "can" make free software out of non-free tools, though some would think we should use free tools only to build a free society.  I believe more in harmony that the world of free software and non-free software should be able to co-exist.  This should be a philosophy question on the position of Debian, about whether Debian is completely non-free exclusive in every way (and whether the existence of non-free section should be challenged again).

However, on the choice of VCS, I think we can REQUIRE Salsa to be on the Vcs-Git and make Vcs-Git to be mandatory except for valid reasons.  Developers should be free to mirror their repository from the service they would like to, but they should be two-way synchronized between Salsa and the service.  If it is possible, I'd like to propose putting multiple Vcs-Git URLs to indicate mirrors.  That could also answer the issue that some people prefer free services instead of non-free service used by maintainer, and can come in handy in case if Salsa is down.

Yao Wei, still trying to clear my thoughts and find a place to stand.

(Sent from a phone, sorry for HTML email.)