Re: GR proposal: mandating VcsGit and VcsBrowser for all packages, using the "gbp patches unapplied" layout, and maybe also mandating hosted on Salsa

On Wed, 24 Jul 2019, Ondřej Surý wrote:
> > so, why isn't it enough to recommend those things?
>
> Because you are not the only developer in the whole world?
> And when you disappear or just don’t have a time and somebody
> else needs to fix your packages, then it’s a heap of unnecessary
> trouble to go through because of someones “personal” preferences.

Sorry, I spent about 15 years packaging TeX and friends - and I spend
most of my Debian time with that.

Do you ask me to increase my work load to at least 300% only because of some
standardization procedure for the minuscule chance that I am suddenly
abducted by aliens? (Or, heretic voice, maybe because it is easier to
throw people out when everything is standardized?)

Why don't you simply trust those who are responsible for packages that
they know what is the most appropriate way?

Are we now in a state in Debian that Developers are treated as employees
that have to obey and follow the rules, or are we still a group of
self-determined engineers that are able to make our own decisions,
including what packaging is the best/most convinient, with the aim of
building the best distribution?

> Debian is a team effort and it always was, although it sometimes

I strongly disagree  - it is **not** - it is the work of lots
of dedicated individuals, not team work. There are some teams that work
together, but this is not Debian.

> It’s fine to be a different, but when it hinders other’s ability to contribute
> sometimes it’s better to bite the bullet and be nice to your fellow
> Debian Developers by making your packaging accessible.

Again weak. If you want to contribute, unpack the source package and fix
bugs, improve packaging, whatever. Then send patches. The maintainer
will include that in the work flow - you learn how it works, and next
time maybe already do the same.

This is not even the slightest reason NOT to contribute.

Best

Norbert

Accelia Inc. + IFMGA ProGuide + TU Wien + JAIST + TeX Live + Debian Dev