Re: Debian supports pridemonth?

On Mon, Jul 01, 2019 at 10:24:33PM +0200, Karsten Merker wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 01, 2019 at 09:24:34AM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> > Gerardo Ballabio <gerardo.ballabio@gmail.com> writes:
> [...]
> > > And I don't think that this is, or should be, within the bounds of the
> > > Publicity Team delegation.
> >
> > I think this is probably the place where we disagree.
> >
> > That said, how *do* you want to handle this, assuming that other people in
> > the project do want to acknowledge important events for our community
> > members?  For example, Debian has made note of Diwali in the past in
> > various ways (arguably less obviously than changing the logo, to be fair),
> > and it's been entirely uncontroversial.
> [...]
> > Perhaps it's just because I come from a work culture where this sort of
> > acknowledgement is entirely routine and unexceptional, but this all feels
> > like a tempest in a teapot to me.
>
> The latter is probably a cultural issue that varies significantly
> depending on where one lives and works.  My personal experience
> with the various places that I have worked at has been exactly
> the opposite from yours - employers have strictly avoided any
> form of communication towards their employees that could be even
> remotely related to religion or politics and employees were
> expected to not issue any statements with religious or political
> connotations when they spoke on behalf of the company.

Fully agreed. I don't think of any German company that would change its
LOGO (for crying out loud!) to care for a minority or even the majority
of its employees.

I once worked at a company where they rolled out a green carpet with
white lines in the entrance hall (thereby covering their logo that was
woven in the regular carpet) and put up a soccer goal during the world
championship. I don't care about the multi-million euro business that
masquerades itself as "sports", and I hated it.

Greetings
Marc