Re: Censorship in Debian

On 05/01/2019 21:24, Scott Kitterman wrote:

> I also have a lot of sympathy for people who feel they have been marginalized
> and it being worth working on making them feel welcome/not marginalized, but I
> think it has limits (and maybe this is the core of my concern relative to the
> CoC).  Not everyone can be accommodated.  There's broad agreement that someone
> who insists on an unfettered right to be an ass (for most any definition)
> isn't going to be made to feel welcome, but there's also a limit to how far
> the project can reasonably go in catering to people's concerns without it
> getting ridiculous.

Replying in a purely personal fashion here.

For full disclosure, let me say that I belong to a couple of minorities,
while also enjoying the benefits of other important privileges. I
consider myself some kind of social justice advocate, and I profoundly
believe in fostering diversity and protecting the most vulnerable people
in society.

At the same time, I am full aware that being oppressed does not make you
immune from being an asshole. And I also believe that there are people
out there requesting ridiculous accommodations, or even using the goals
of social justice for personal benefit. Myself, I have been on the
receiving end of that kind of people, and so I can completely understand
what you are saying here.

> Military pilots of aircraft with ejection seats are limited both to a minimum
> and maximum height.

Yup. And I would not even be able to be a commercial pilot because of my
eyesight, and many things like that. I think those are reasonable.

> All accommodations have practical limits.  In my reading of the Diversity
> Statement and CoC, I don't see that recognized and I fear how far it will be
> taken in the future.

Yes, but I am not sure this is something that can be codified in a
reasonable and useful way. The alternative is to trust the delegates to
be "reasonable", and elect a DPL that might change them if they are
going in a direction that you find too extreme.

If you think about it, this is how it works in many places in the real
world, with policies slowly shifting to the left or right and the window
of acceptable discourse and policies shift too.

--
Martín Ferrari (Tincho)